Wednesday 5 July 2017

The power of the Alumni

I wanted to talk about motivation in the classroom. We have all come across the situations where one of our student shows a resistance to our teaching. Maybe it is the way we are delivering the materials or just that the topic may not interest the student or even that they student doesn't see the value in the class.
One of the most common career paths my Digital Arts student say they want is to be an Artist. That's all fine and dandy but what about the rest of the careers within the Digital Arts world. I see most of my students attention drop when I teach my professional practices course. The students would rather be painting in photoshop that learning how to start their business. They would rather be animating than discovering the intricacies of designing their personal business cards.

A lot of times the students just see you talking...telling them these details because you are paid to do so. One of the most engaging sections of that course, where i see them raise their eyes from their computers is when i get in Alumni guest speakers.
It makes such a difference to drive home a point when you have someone from that discipline who is making it our there in the world. Not just a teacher but a real Alumni Animator or Graphic Designer who is bring in the cash doing the work they went to school to learn.

We have had everyone from Animators, illustrators, game designers, feature film editors and gallery directors come speak. Not only is it fascinating to the students, it's a hell of a resource for me to. I am often taking down notes of their key points for future classes. It's improved my skills and the way I approach my classes.

So send those emails out and get the old alumni in. it makes a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs Creative Commons License- Attribution-NonCommercial

Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International   (CC BY-NC 4.0) This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the  li...